Belkyra ® – treatment for double-chin
BELKYRA ®, is the first approved drug for the treatment of submental fat (unwanted fat under the chin, the so-called double-chin).
It is used in adult patients in whom double-chin has a psychological impact.
- Individually adapted injectable drug that destroys fat-cells under the chin.
- Most people who are treated are experiencing a visible improvement of the chin profile after 2-4 treatment sessions.
- 15 – 20 minutes per treatment. No surgery is required.
- A non-invasive treatment with long-lasting results and high patient satisfaction. When the desired result has been achieved no additional treatment is usually required.
How does it work?
BELKYRA ® is injected into the area under the chin and give rise to the destruction of fat cells and eliminates them.
The active ingredient in BELKYRA ® is deoxichol acid, a molecule that is produced naturally in the body and is involved in the digestion and absorption of fat in the diet.
Fat that is removed from the treatment area will disappear through the body’s natural metabolism.
AFTER ONE TREATMENT
AFTER TWO TREATMENTS
AFTER THREE TREATMENTS
Un-retouched photos taken of a patient before and after one, two and three treatment sessions with BELKYRA ®. The patient underwent no significant weight change between the beginning and end of the treatment. Individual results may vary. Images used with permission. Allergan Inc., 2017.
BELKYRA ® gives rise to the destruction of fat cells when the substance is injected into the subcutaneous fat
What is BELKYRA ®?
- BELKYRA ® is a synthetic non-human, non-animal form of deoxichol acid, a molecule that occurs naturally in the body that helps to break down and absorb the fat in the diet.
- The deoxichol acid in BELKYRA ® is biologically speaking not distinguishable from endogenous deoxicholsyra.
Mechanism of action
- BELKYRA ® gives rise to the destruction of adipocytes, that is, the fat cells are destroyed. When these cells are destroyed, they can no longer store or accumulate fat.
- The destruction of the adipocytes creates a tissue response where macrophages are attracted to the area for eliminating cellular debris and lipids, which are then cleaned up by natural processes. This is followed by a formation of fibroblasts and an observed thickening of fibrous septa which indicates increased total collagen (i.e., the formation of new collagen).
- The submental fat consists of pre-platysmal and post-platysmal fat accumulations.
- BELKYRA ® is injected in the pre-platysmal fat in the treatment area, over the platysma muscle.