Information about facelift
Rhytidectomy, commonly known as the face lift, is a popular aesthetic procedure that recreates a younger and more well-defined neck and jaw line in both men and women.
As people age, their skin becomes thinner and the underlying muscles begin to sag. As early as age 30 to 35, you may notice that your skin is beginning to lose its elasticity, resulting in excess skin. Hereditary factors play a role, but even external factors such as diet, smoking, sun exposure, and the effects of gravity come into play. Changes arise that you couldn’t see before – facial wrinkles and folds, and excess skin around the neck.
A face lift is performed in general anesthesia, which means you are asleep and pain-free for the duration of the procedure. The scars will be different depending on the technique used, the amount of skin that is removed, haow the tissue IS lifted, and whether you are male or female.
With a traditional face lift, the tissue is lifted and excess skin is removed. The scars usually ends up in the hair above the ear, follows the natural skin folds in front of the ear, continues a short distance into the outer ear and finally goes further up behind the ear and into the hairline. The technology we use most often at Victoriakliniken is a so-called “short scar face lift” or “S-lift” which will create a short scar. With this technique, the scar will end behind the ear. The scars will be very subtle and almost impossible to see. Usually you can go home the day after surgery.
In addition to the above described traditional method of face lift, we also perform what is known as a MACS-lift (minimal access cranial suspension). Whith this technique the tissue on the cheek and chin is lifted up by means of one or several long stitches that clips in the deep tissue (the SMAS, superficial muscular aponeurotic system). These stitches will disappear after some time while the result remains. Also for MACS-lift the scars becomes short and unobtrusive.
You should expect some swelling, discoloration and tenderness around the ears and down to the neck after surgery after a face lift. This is worst on the second to third day and then gradually subsides. Stitches will be removed in two stages, in the face after 5-6 days and on the scalp after about two weeks. Even then you will notice a significant improvement.
Here you can watch 3D-animations that will explain in detail how various types of facelifts are done, and what happens before, after and during the operation.
As with all types of operations, there is always some risk that complications arise as a consequence for a facelift.
- In patients with impaired circulation, for example diabetics or smokers, but also patients with atherosclerosis, there is a risk that small skin areas around and behind the ears do not heal properly. In these cases, a black crust is formed that fall off after a few weeks. The wound heals but can leave an ugly scar that may need to be corrected.
- In rare cases, the nerves that control facial muscle movements become affected, probably due to a swelling or “draw” in the nerves. The damages are in these cases typically temporary damages and full recovery will normally happen within 3-6 months.
- The ear’s sensory nerve lies also in the surgical site, it is usually easy to see because it is big and is therefore very rarely damaged. If a damage nevertheless should occur, the surgeon will immediately repair it, but it can lead to a small and transient sensory loss in the ear lobe.
- Numbness along the scar sections can occur right after surgery, this is usually transient, but may in exceptional cases be permanent.
- Increased scar activity is a rare complication. After 6 months, the scars are usually very difficult to see because the cuts are put in the hair-bearing area or in natural folds. It can sometimes occur that scars increases in width, usually this is due to a combination of too much tension in the skin as well as deficiencies in skin elasticity and healing abilities.
- In some patients, hair detachment along the scar edges occur. However, the hair usually grows back out again within 6 months
Before- and after images faceliftIn the gallery you can search for patients like yourself. Use the drop-down menues to limit the search. If you want to see alla patients, just click "Search".
To view more images, make you choices in the drop-down menues, and hit "SÖK".
Some patients wonder why we don't have a fixed price list. We have chosen not to have one as each patient is unique with unique conditions for an operation. Since conditions vary from patient to patient, no surgery is exactly the same, although there are more standardized procedures such as breast augmentation.
The price-range for some surgeries is so great that we feel that we need to meet our patients in order to provide a fair and accurate price. In addition, it is often only at the time of consultation that we together with you will find out which procedure or procedures are suitable for achieving a beautiful, final result. For example, it may be advisable to combine a tummy tuck with liposuction of the abdomen or waist. Our goal is perfection and that you should be completely satisfied with the result after surgery. If several procedures are performed at the same time, the pricing will be different than if the procedures are performed each in itself.
It's important to remember that in addition to the actual cost of surgery, the proce also includes anaesthetic, all medication, all revisits (often three) and often at least one overnight stay including meals, after surgery. Here you can read more about what is included when booking an operation at the Victoriakliniken.
You are welcome to contact us to ask about approximate prices. Your questions will of course be answered as best as possible. We hope you are lenient about us not following a fixed price list as each patient is unique with unique conditions, which is why individual pricing is the most accurate.
Virtually all prices are shown including VAT, as all procedures and treatments except those made for medical reasons have VAT added in Sweden since the turn of 2014/2015. Whether your procedure is medically motivated or not, is also something that needs to be concluded at a personal meeting. In cases where the price is quoted excluding VAT, this is because these procedures are always performed on a medical basis.
From (incl. VAT):
|Accomodation, drugs, anesthesia and compr. garment included|
|Total facelift (endo, forhead, midface, facelift)||SEK 195.000|
|Lower face + neck||SEK 110.000|
Book a time for consultation for a facelift
Contact us using the form, and we'll call you back to book an appointment.
(You can also attach some images to show us what you would like to have done).